Saturday, February 27, 2010

Holy Cow!

Before I went to bed last night I heard about the 8.8 Earthquake that hit Chile, but it was too early to get any information on it, so I waited until this morning to read about the damage. From the latest reports, over 147 deaths have been reported and the main road connecting the north from the south is destroyed. A prison reportedly partially collapsed and some inmates escaped only adding to the commotion. Meanwhile, Hawaii has been issued with a tsunami warning and to my utter amazement the news cameras show people along the coast taking pictures of the surf!! What in the heck are these people thinking? Did they not see any footage from the tsunami in Indonesia? Those waves come in with such speed there isn't a chance in heck they can outrun them, yet there they are like dodo birds taking pictures. Crazy. I guess that gives credence to the old adage that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

I am impressed with the people of Chile however. There appears to be no looting or any crazy-making idiots out on the streets causing havoc and the buildings seem(from the film footage) to have held up quite well, but then I am not surprised. It is an area that is well aware of the geologic dangers and hence they have prepared accordingly.

Presently the news is reporting that they predict the waves to be about 1-7ft. and would hit at 4pm EST. I think what a lot of people are unaware of is that when the tsunami hits it won't just hit the eastern coastline, but rather it will wrap around the islands hitting both sides. Or, maybe they are well aware of that fact and I am just trying to justify idiotic behavior.

No comments: